Sunday, February 28, 2010

9 and Pregnant?!

LOL!!!!

My daughter and I have been watching the MTV show 16 and Pregnant a lot lately and she was being funny today with her bike helmet and did this...





lol, putting these ridiculously funny pictures aside, this was meant to actually be a serious blog. haha

I guess it might be considered controversial that I allow my daughter to watch this show (only with me, of course) along with the show Intervention (when appropriate, which 99% of the time I do find the subject matter appropriate for my children), but the truth of the matter is, I want my daughter (and son) to have as much information on subjects such as pregnancy, drug abuse and addiction. I might be considered a hypocrite because I want my children to know as much as they can about these subjects but Miah and I won't allow them to have cell phones until at least 13....and that's even an "if". Maybe not even 13. Absolutely NO internet access without us knowing, being in the room, watching them and never in our house will we allow them to have an internet connection in their own rooms. I want them to stay kids for as long as possible. To stay away from unnecessary responsibilities until they have to. I want my kids to be kids. So then why would I allow and actually have them watch shows like 16 and Pregnant, Teen Mom and Intervention? Some things are out of my control. All I know is that when I drop them off at school at 8:20am and pick them up at 3:10, I really don't know anything that goes on between them and their friends, what they hear, what they say....I can only go by what they tell me. I want my kids to be open with Miah and I. I want them to be completely comfortable coming to us with anything. To keep those lines of communication open. If for one second I thought them watching those shows were too much for them, I wouldn't allow them to watch them anymore. But we keep it light, watch the shows (which they really enjoy) and usually have a light (but serious, if that makes any sense) conversation after them. Or during, whenever the opportunity presents itself.

But honestly, aren't those pictures SO funny?!?! LOL

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great you are watching those shows with your kids. In no way is addiction or pregnancy at such a young age glamorized and I would imagine it's more of a deterrent than anything. It's great that you want your kids to be kids but you aren't shielding them from what really goes on outside in this great big world of ours. My thought is that what is acceptable for one kid might not for the next and it is the parents job to use their discernment in these issues. You and Miah are fabulous parents...

    ReplyDelete